Monday, March 23, 2009

How to Quit Drinking Alcohol

I quit drinking alcohol over 8 years ago and I have been sober ever since. Here is some of what I have learned about recovery.

First of all it is wise to start out in treatment. Not everyone does of course, but I work in a treatment center now and I believe that it is the best course of action for most alcoholics. Going to rehab is definitely not a magic bullet, but it is usually better than no treatment at all. There are several advantages to treatment:

1) Safe detoxification from alcohol - this is important because alcohol withdrawal can be extremely dangerous.

2) Support from peers - this is important because we cannot know how to quit drinking alcohol on our own. We need help in order to recover.

3) Learning and guidance - you get this from the professional therapists and counselors who work in the treatment center.

So I recommend that you start out in a treatment center for your recovery journey and if this doesn't work for you then there are other options available. For example, some people start their recovery by simply attending 12 step meetings every day. Others might go to church and get involved with the community there.

Whatever works for you....but start with treatment due to the benefits listed above.

3 comments:

  1. Just the way I have expected. Your website really is interesting. מרכז גמילה מסמים

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the way I have expected. Your website really is interesting. מרכז גמילה מסמים

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. אלכוהוליזם

    ReplyDelete